Sunday 23 April 2017

SEMESTER 2 - Week 3: Portrait Homework

For our homework we were challenged to draw more faces, while i found this task somewhat challenging, i believe that the outcomes of the this was some of the best i have produced so far. In order to stop myself from slipping back into my perfectionist ways, i tried my best to focus on shading and keeping within the time frames.
 For the first time i draw a man i saw in a Newspaper, i thought the proportions of his face were unusual so i wanted to test myself to see if i could grasp the proportions by focusing on the shading. I had two attempts to draw him, while the first drawing i think the shading was better, the 2nd drawing the actual proportions of the mans face were more accurate. Drawing from a newspaper isnt easy as you cannot dictate the size of the image, however, i feel that this did not hinder my ability to draw his face.
 For my second drawing i drew my favourite musician Geddy Lee from the Canadian Rock band RUSH. i chose him as he is very different to the previous man, i tried to restrain myself to the 20 minute time limit, i was quite happy with how this turned out, however i feel that i focused too much on the line work, and because of that the proportions were slightly skewed, i redid the drawing as a quick thumbnail sketch, and was much happier with the outcome.
 For my historical figure i wanted to chose again something very different, so i went for Japanese Navy General Kinsei Sakinori Kabayoma. I was very happy with how this turned out. I think the fact that the photograph was in Black and White helped my Identify areas of value and draw them effectively
For my final Drawing i drew my girlfriend, one advantage of this was i chose the lighting of the photo and the angle, as i knew the person on a personal level. I also went slightly off brief for this one and went over time, to focus on getting the values perfect. 
I am Happy with ho w all these tuned out, im slightly disappointed in my Geddy lee drawing as some of the proportions were skewed, however the drawings in which i focused on the negative space and values came out fantastically and i was really happy with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment